Whether you have a flat tire, a dead battery or a minor accident, it is very important to be safe as you wait for roadside assistance or towing service. Breaking down while you are on the side of the road could be dangerous and scary with distracted drivers who might not see you or the stalled car. You could also be an easy target of highway robbers and gangs. These tips are going to keep you safe during emergency as you wait for a tow truck company to reach you.
- Pull over as much as possible. If you can still drive your vehicle, drive to the road’s shoulder so that you do not block traffic. Try not to park on a hill or a blind corner where other drivers are going to have problems seeing you. If you can no longer drive the car and if it is safe to do so, push the car to the shoulder of the road and ask some help.
- Turn on hazard lights. From the moment your car starts to experience problems, turn on the hazard lights so that your car will be more visible and so that you can also alert other drivers that your car is not moving. If you have an emergency kit, try to set up flares or cones so that you will be more visible.
- Stay inside your car. In a lot of cases, it is always safe to stay in your car wearing your seatbelt while waiting for a 24-hour towing service. Don’t stand next to your car because you don’t want to bet your life that other drivers are going to be paying attention. Should your car get sideswiped or hit while on the shoulder, it is a lot safer to be inside your car with your seatbelt fastened. There are situations where it is safer to be out of the car. These cases include your car smoking, or getting stuck in an area where you could get hit. If there are no cars on the road, you should stay out of your car. If you are on the shoulder of a highway, go out through the passenger side. Do not stand behind or in front of your vehicle.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. If you are going to leave your vehicle, take your personal belongings with you, like insurance information, important documents and your wallet or purse to avoid damage or theft.
- Don’t accept a stranger’s offer for a ride. If you teach your children not to accept rides from strangers, it is good advice. Make sure you don’t make the mistake of accepting an offer from a stranger. Do not speak to motorists or passing pedestrians while you wait for the towing service. Some people may have good intentions of being a good Samaritan but others have bad intentions. You cannot tell the difference. You should just let anybody know that you have already contacted a 24-hour towing service company and that you don’t need their help anymore.
- If you have been on an accident, do not move your vehicle until the police arrives.
- Do not leave any pets or children unattended inside a car especially during warm weather. They could get heat stroke.
- Prepare the necessary documentation while you wait for a towing service. The documentation might include vehicle registration and your insurance card. Locate your papers before the towing service arrives to speed up the process and avoid any unnecessary delays.
- When the towing company arrives, ask for their identification information as well as the driver’s name. This is important to get help from the right people. Make sure you are only talking to the towing company you called.